Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Hurt Locker

Saw "The Hurt Locker" last night. I've heard that it will win the big award tonight, and I hope it does. I've now seen 6 or 7 of the 10 nominees, and I really enjoyed most of them, with maybe the exception of "Inglourious Basterds" which I thought was just okay. Something about altering the history of WWII for fantasy sake rubs me the wrong way.

"The Hurt Locker" succeeds on a number of different levels, it is a movie about the most politicially charged War of my lifetime without any politics, which is no small feat. One of the things I walked away with was how war changes people, how we ask these people to do amazing things that have no real translation once they come back home. The movie had a very real quality about it, these were not recognizable Hollywood types doing recognizable Hollywood action movie things. The characters while particulary heroic were hormented, conflicted but in a very real and very human way.

I think that it is important that Americans think about Iraq in a very real way, and recognize what we are asking of our people to do effects them, ourselves and others in a very profound ways that have consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment